Prestige Entries Care & Finishing
Recommended guides on best practices for door unit installation:
Door with Sidelite
Having trouble with your door installation and think the door might be warped? First, take a long level (at least 6 feet in length) and place along all the following edges of the door - the inside and outside face, and the hinge and lock side edges. If the level is not flat against the surface and the gap equals or exceeds 3/8" on an 8' door or 1/4" on a 6/8' door, take clear pictures with measurements and contact the dealer or distributor of your product to discuss remedies.
If the door slabs are flat, it is likely that the installation of the unit is off by a small bit and is causing the unit to not be flat with the jambs. Click the following link to check for cross leg and steps to correct: Problem-free Prefit Doors | THISisCarpentry
Prestige recommends that you hire a professional installer or trim carpenter to help with your project or repairs.
Manufacturer’s Installation Requirements
All units must be properly shimmed and installed in square, level, and plumb rough openings.
- Minimize the exposure of wood products to elements such as sunlight, direct rainfall and other forms of precipitation.
- Installation of glazed products must be with stops to the inside.
- Before hanging, inspect rough opening. Rough opening sizes are provided in brochure. Verify rough opening is square, level and plumb. Maximum allowable deviation is 1/8”. Correct for any cross-leg by using 3”x3” blocks at top and bottom of frame. The rough opening sill or floor must not be crowned or sagged.
- Install sill pan or other weatherized sealant system per manufacturer’s requirements.
- Do not cut doors down in height by more that 1” maximum from bottom. ½” maximum from top. Use a sharp fine-tooth saw for trimming ends of doors.
- Immediately after cutting and fitting (before hanging), seal all cut surfaces and ends of door with an effective quality sealer. Prior to exterior exposure, doors should be finished with complete finish system. All six edges (top, bottom, sides, front, back) must be sealed within 72 hours after delivery with the integrity of the finish maintained.
- Temporarily install jamb frame and set shims at head jamb to hold unit in place while installing fasteners. Install fasteners as follows: (1) on hinge side jamb, one to two inches from top; (2) same height on side opposite (1); (3) after adjusting for cross-leg, install fastener at bottom of hinge side jamb; (4) after adjusting for cross-leg, install fastener at same height as (3) on opposite side jamb; (5) remove top screw from top hinge and install screw (with sufficient length to reach rough opening stud) to take pressure off top hinge, screw can be loosened or tightened to correct the fit; (6) correct any bottom hinge gap by installing shim above bottom hinge and install shim as deep as needed to get correct reveal at bottom; (7) install shims above and below each hinge for support and to prevent jambs from rolling when opening and closing door - install fasteners below shims, not through them; (8) install pairs of shims every 12” on the opposite jamb from hinge jamb and fasten below.
- Check for smooth door operation and even spacing between door and jambs. Double units are manufactured and shipped with 1/16” space between door and jambs at the hinges and 1/8” between door and t-astragal at the lock. Single units measure 1/16” on hinge side and 1/8” between for and jamb at the lock. Measurements should be taken at each hinge location to ensure door units is square, plumb, and level. If measurements are not met, additional shimming will be required.
- Installations that do not meet measurement standards are not eligible for warranty claims.
Prestige Entries’ doors are made with the finest materials available. You can choose from a wide variety of stain or paint possibilities. Take care in following the suggestions provided in this brochure and by your paint or finish manufacturer. Be sure to evaluate the conditions your door must endure, such as direct exposure to severe climates, before deciding on the specific finish to use. Avoid the use of dark stains or paints on the door surfaces exposed to direct sunlight. These conditions can cause panel and rail separation, warp, twist and bow. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A LACQUER BASED TONER OR ANY OTHER LACQUER BASED FINISH BE USED ON EXTERIOR DOORS.
Suggested Preparation for Finishing
Before applying the first coat of finish, sand the entire surface lightly with 5/0 sandpaper (220 grit) to remove fingerprints and handling marks. After sanding, clean door thoroughly with a cloth to remove all dust or foreign material. Avoid using caustic or abrasive cleaners. Sand with the grain to avoid cross-grain scratches. All surfaces of the door must be properly finished. The edges (top, bottom, and sides) should be coated with each and every coat of finish that is applied to the exterior surface of the door. Make sure to include the portions of the door exposed due to machining (latch and bore prep and hinges). Doors must be dry before finishing. On doors that are glazed with clear glass, the finish used should be flowed from the wood slightly onto the glass. This will provide assurance against water leakage and protect the glazing compound “putty” from drying out. Note: It is the finisher’s responsibility to protect glass prior to and during finishing. On doors that have plastic film protection on glass, removal of plastic film protection immediately after applying the finish is required. Failure to remove the plastic film at this time may cause harm to the glass and will create difficulty in removing the film at a later time. Do not use razor blades or sharp objects to remove the film or clean the glass. These items will scratch the glass.
Your Prestige Entries door has been handcrafted door to last for years. But, like any fine piece of furniture, its finish will require some simple, periodic maintenance to keep it looking great and provide protection against the elements. Regular finish maintenance is a requirement of the warranty that’s included with every Prestige Entries door as well as a requirement from your paint or finish manufacturer. Failure to follow maintenance requirements will void your warranty. Here are some sign to watch for. They indicate that it’s time for some simple, easy-to-perform maintenance:
- Hairline cracks in the top coat of finish
- Changes in the color of the finish
- Changes in the texture of the finish, such as flaking or scaling
- Dullness or chalkiness in the finish